Saturday, June 27, 2009

Thing #5- Getting Started with RSS

Before this "Thing" I have never even heard of an RSS. I didn't know what a reader was, and I didn't know how to follow News like this. It really is pretty cool. This will be a MUCH more effective way to get the news I want in a fraction of the time!! I think it will take me a little while to get used to, though.

One of the news stories I read through on my reader, "Google Earth- We Need Our Earth," was a posting about 4th graders getting a petition signed to get Google Earth updated and increase time in school accessing Google Earth. Personally, I am a HUGE fan of Goolge Maps and Google Earth. I have spent a great deal of times looking at both of these for directions to different places, to see what is around the place where I am going, and even using the street view so I know exactly where to turn in to get to where I'm going. It has been very helpful to me.

A frustrating part about Google Earth is that some places are SEVERAL years behind. Developments where houses have been for 5+ years appear to be just fields on Google Earth. I would sign the petition for these 4th graders. I think that Google Earth could be very students at any grade level.

Also, looking at Google maps frequently could help students understand how to apply cardinal directions. I believe this is a skill that is never learned my many people. It is much easier for me to understand " from I-635, exit I-30 East" much more than "go right on I-30." Relative direction are often confusing. Google Earth and Google Maps could help these elementary students learn how to apply map reading skills, learn cardinal directions, use clues and follow directions to get to specific landmarks, and many other educational applications.

1 comment:

  1. I've had the same frustration with Google Maps (when you look up my house on the "street view" it's shows the wrong end of the street)!

    ReplyDelete