Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Thing #14- What in the world is a wiki?

The past two "things" have really started to get my attention. As I read some articles about wikis, watched a couple of videos, read some blogs, and actually looks at some wikis, I realized how beneficial they can be to teachers and students. The video, "Wiki's in Plain English," hit it right on the head when it showed how emails are not always the most effective way to organize something.

A wiki that really got my attention when I was reading Wiki WikiTeaching was Study Hall, a wiki created by 10th grade students to help them study for tests in different classes. This one got my attention because the students seemed to run with the idea that wikis can be helpful. They learned it for a simple project, then ran with it to create a collaboration headquarters for their own benefit! These kids got it going on!

Another wiki that I enjoyed was the Holocaust Wiki Project. This wiki grabbed my attention first, because it looked just like Wikipedia (which I often use to get quick information about random tangents my brain follows throughout the course of a day). It also grabbed my attention because of how many organized links there were, how the teacher fully described the project while linking to other websites and helpful links, and how informative the information was that was written by the students.

I also enjoyed was Code Blue because it was easy to use, extremely informative, and it gace many links to other websites that would be very informative while doing research for the human body.

I would probably use wikis in my classroom for class projects so that the students could learn how to collaborate via internet and also to introduce them to a tool they can use in the future to help them be more efficient at planning and studying. I think it would be a great way to get students engages. I really think they would enjoy it, learn a lot, and apply it to other areas in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment